Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Creative Commons Licensing

I have seen the license on a few web pages here and there, but never really thought much about licensing my work. This blog is not at the level (nor is my other one) where I would really need to worry about someone using my work in a way that I would not desire.

I am getting ready to write an entry about some of the fruits and vegetables here in Brazil that are not available in the US, and as part of that I am preparing some photos on another website to link here. The other website offers the option of licensing one's public photos under the Creative Commons license.

If you have a website, blog, or other work that you want to retain your rights to, as well as let users know how and if they can re-use it for their purposes, I highly recommend doing the following:

  • Click here to go to the website.
  • Click on the “Publish” link in the new window.
  • Choose your preferences (plain English descriptions prevail here!) regarding your copyright.
  • If you have a website, or blog, they provide the HTML code to paste into your template
It took me far less than half an hour to do, and it is well worth the effort. The result of a user clicking on the button on your website reveals your preferences of fair use. Its that simple.

I also note that there are options for other types of work (video, photography, etc.) available on the site. I have not checked into that part yet, but I probably will in the near future.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment