I admit that this is somewhat inevitable, as Wi-Fi Hotspots are popping up like mad all over the place. It is not all bad either, but I am not sure it is all good.
They are also considering allowing the use of personal cellular phones in-flight (as if the screaming children, and the person sitting next to you aren't enough already).
I took a few minutes and thought up some issues that might arise should this eventuality turn into reality:
- Good thing: There are hours of entertainment on the web; it could make flights seem shorter.
- Bad thing: The person sitting next to you is addicted to Skype, they know everyone in the world who has a phone, and they are not afraid to speak quite loudly.
- Good thing: You can now check for that last minute email that you were dying to get (or send).
- Bad thing: You are constantly tied to said email, and have no time to relax (same goes for the phone: See the second bullet.)
- Good thing: Your deadline has an extension due to this available time on the flight.
- Bad thing: Your evil, over-bearing boss (I have not had one of those for some time now) has access to you in-flight.
- Good thing: “My laptop battery died, and I did not have a power adapter that worked on the plane. Sorry.”